Tuesday

Part 2 of Guest Interview with Jana Flaig, fighting cancer and fear with laughter!



We're back with Jana Flaig, ovarian cancer survivor. She not only has a book about Fight Fear and Foster Faith, but also a DVD about Been There, Got the Wig! Let's talk more about how laughter helps in fighting fear...

7.  Why is humor and laughter important in the fight against fear? 

Humor is a powerful weapon against fear because it can defuse or lessen fear by redirecting our focus onto the something light-hearted.  Laughter lifts our spirit, when we laugh we feel better, and when we feel better, it’s easier to have hope.



8.How does laughter make us feel better?

Laughter releases natural pain-relieving endorphins in our body, it activates our immune system, reduces stress hormones. Laughter is life’s medicine. Laughter can help us to see the light at the end of the tunnel as we’re going through tough times and keep us from throwing in the towel.



9. Tell about an example of finding humor in your hardship.

Soon I noticed that people reacted differently to me when they’d heard I had cancer.  One lady came up to me in church and apologized, “I’m sorry that I didn’t get to know you,”and she left.  She just missed her 2nd chance.    Another woman approached me said “I’m sooo glad I’m not you.” “What does it feel like knowing you’re going to die soon?”  I think they meant well, so I wasn’t offended; but their remarks suggested maybe there’s a Cancer Card to be played here:  I went to a camera store to return an expensive cable and was told that I would not get a refund because the 7-day grace period had passed.  So as the manager turned to walk away, I blurted out “I’m a cancer survivor!” and lifted my shirt to show him my huge scar. I did that because the Scar shows that I’ve been hurt, the Scar is evidence that I’ve been healed, the Scar is empathy.  Well he changed his tune.  And with his eyes wide open, he quickly gave me my 40-dollars.  I was feeling pretty good.   This “cancer survivor” thing isn’t bad.  When I got home I stood in front of the mirror and lifted my shirt to see what he saw that was so persuasive. To my horror, I saw 
that I had inadvertently lifted my shirt too high.  I flashed him.  Well I can never go back to that store again.  The worst of it is...now I’m not sure why I got the refund! This could revolutionize shopping as we know it!
           

10  Where can people find out more about your book and public speaking?

Book Fight Fear and Foster Faith is available at amazon.com and my website is www.janaflaig.com



Any final comments? 
Put on your boxing gloves, jump in the ring and fight fear!



1 comment:

  1. I admire your ability to see humor in the toughest of situations. That's something I try to do, too. Your spirit and sense of humor remind me of Erma Bombeck.

    Blessings,
    Deb G
    KY

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.